Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The low down on Deb!

Delivered Emily Joy Thursday evening, Oct 6th- best birthing experience I have ever had, but then afterwards, I started hemorraghing, and we had to transport to the hospital. The OB surgeon tried to stop the bleeding with a DnC, but it was Placenta Acreeta (sp?), which means the placenta grew into the muscular wall of the uteris, not just attached to the inner lining, and so, with bleeding still continuing, they had to go in and do an emergency hysterectomy. I was given 4 units of blood (and said they didn't fill me up, just gave me enough to be ok- our bodies only supposedly hold 6 units), was put on the ventilator, and BIll stared down some very hard decisions and life possibilities that first night. I spent 2 days in ICU, then went to a regular room- Emily was cared for in the nursery (God bless them for their help!).
On the road to recovery, I could not get enough pain meds- there was this pain on the left side I could not seem to get on top of. Percoset, Darvocet and morphine all could not last as they were supposed to. I came home on Tues, and had one major pain episode on Wed, then on Fri eve, and it was coming back on Sat, so I called the dr, and we met him at the outpatient dept and they found a blockage in my ureter, down near the bladder. New specialist- urologist, tried to go in from the bladder up on Sat eve, unsuccessful. Sunday, a radiologist (new specialist!) tried to go from the kidney down, unsuccessful- so they put in a stint to drain the kidney- that was the second part of the pain that started after I got home, a kidney full of urine it could not drain anywhere. And now I have a drainage bag on my leg for the next 6-8 weeks until the tissues inside are strong enough to hold stitches (he described the tissues as being like overcooked pasta- imagine trying to sew that together!). In December or so, they can do reconstructive surgery to snip off the damaged end of the ureter and reattach it to the bladder in a new place. Oh joy. At least I will be done with my 'baggage' at that point!
So, all in all, I am mending, but fragile. Emily is doing well. We are all kind of in survival mode, but doing ok. Bill's mom was here for the first week and a half, my mom is here this week till Sat, then we are going to have to look at how I am doing and reevaluate what the needs are. Life stays interesting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


Website Counter